Monday 25 July 2011

Interview with Peach Pellen on Corona

Peach Pellen is considered to be an expert when it comes to Corona SDK games development.  After being inspired by her tutorials on her website techority, I decided to seek her out and ask her some questions.


Overall, the interview turned out to be incredibly inspiring and it has encouraged me even more.  I hope it does the same to others that read it as well.


Firstly for those that don't know, what is a certified Corona SDK Developer and how did you rise to that title?
A lot of people ask me that and to be honest, I don't exactly know how one qualifies for the title. I know that three of the first people to get it were Jon Beebe, Ricardo Rauber and myself so I imagine, at least initially, it was about displaying a certain level of skill and/or contributing to the community in a meaningful way.
I like to tell people that to become certified they must "excel in the field of awesomeness".


What is it about Corona that makes you want to see it succeed?
I want it to succeed because it's powerful, beautiful, intuitive and unique - it lets someone who has never coded before get into making apps for iOS and Android in a very gentle way. It has a wonderful community that grows better, closer and more united every day.... but personally, for me, a lot of it has to do with Carlos Icaza.

The last SDK I used had management that did not care about me as a developer, they did not encourage me or motivate me and when I finally left it was because they made a choice that would have cost me money and my identity as a developer.

With Corona, with Ansca and with Carlos, I believe that users get an SDK to use that isn't going to suddenly pull the rug out from under them - they get someone at the top listening to them, working hard to see that they are happy and excited about what they do.

The entire Ansca Mobile team is fantastic and as a developer you need to feel secure in the tools you are using; confidence in your SDK inspires confidence in yourself.



Do you think it is possible for anyone to work with Corona and potentially make an app?
I absolutely do. I knew nothing about coding when I started with Corona. I didn't understand basic HTML. The last SDK I used was drag and drop, so that didn't help me. If you're passionate and driven you can go from having no idea to being able to put together a pretty solid little game within a month.

I should say too, it being easy doesn't mean it's not powerful or suitable for professionals - some of the stuff being made with Corona easily rival the biggest and best iPhone games out there done in Objective C.

What encouraged you to put up a website dedicated to helping others with Corona?That was a combination of two things, the first being the community. I knew I was going to be a permanent part of Corona almost immediately and I wanted to make the community a better place to be a part of. Support, a friendly familiar face, tutorials and advice were all things I thought could benefit everyone - and they did.

The second was that after all the support Carlos had given me I wanted to pass that forward. My work is a massive part of my life and his support therefore changed my life for the better; I wanted to do the same thing for others.

I never imagined that Techority would lead to me becoming a figure in the community let alone a part of Ansca but here I am, 9 odd months after starting out and barely a day goes by that I don't get some kind of fan mail. It's crazy - I still have trouble believing that this many people care about what I do. It's a real motivator for me.

What other services do you have to offer that could help people further?
I do training sessions both in person and over Skype, I can sometimes be hired to create apps (depending on my schedule), I do bug fixes and code snippets and I also sell templates - most of those are complete apps that people can learn from and modify for their own needs, although some people just change the graphics and upload them which is OK too. As of yet no one has used any graphics they shouldn't which is very impressive to me as I know it is a problem in other communities.


You can check out Peach's tutorials here on her website: techority

Also feel free to add her on Twitter (@peachpellen) 


But it doesn't stop there, Peach is also working on a Corona book to continue her quest in promoting its usefulness and helping others get to grips with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment